Friday, 3 July 2009

I Like... Blur (Kind of) / Holding out your heart, To people who never really, Care how you are

I’m not really that into Blur. I only know the glaringly obvious hits and vastly enjoy Coffee & TV's lyrics and video. I saw a “Making Of...” that video and it was actually a fully-grown man wearing the milk carton outfit dancing in front of a green screen. Clever.

It was odd, they came onstage all reformed and friends again, but the crowd didn’t seem massively bowled over or bothered by seeing their weathered but jubilant faces. I prefer obsessive fandom that borders on unhealthy; that’s what being a fan is all about.

So since I’m big on Brit Pop nostalgia, I can simply relay the classics they played:-
- She’s So High
- Girls & Boys (the video for that song made me feel quite uneasy as a child)
- Coffee & TV
- Park Life (Phil Daniels made a cameo – whaaay)
- Country House (funny, since Alex James owns a home in the Cotswolds, sells cheese and occasionally appears on Classic FM these days)
- Tender (made me feel a little bit warm inside)
- Song 2 (thought they would have made more of it but kept it short and sweet)
- This is a Low (I saw Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon perform this as a subdued, suicidal duet at the NME Awards and wasn’t sure what all the fuss was about)
- There’s No Other Way
- Beetlebum
- End of a Century
When they played songs I knew I was all >

That’s only half the set list, but the rest washed over me in a pleasant way, “like a delicious cake as opposed to a bag of drugs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment