Friday, 5 March 2010

I Hate... Cut Backs / Radio Blah Blah

I thoroughly enjoy BBC 6music and I am just one of its 700,000 listeners who is gravely shaking their head at the news of this vital station being axed. 6music just offers the greatest and most diverse range music – that’s it. No gimmicks necessary. If you have the misfortune to listen to Radio 1 for more than a few hours, it is guaranteed you will hear the same catalogue of tepid, top 40 dross over and over again. And why is it that whenever Radio 1 put on those lazy 24 hour request shows on Bank Holidays, the presenters think they are pushing some kind of way-out there broadcast boundary by playing Stairway to Heaven in its entirety? In fact, that’s just the kind of thing that kicks off a 6music show; morning, noon or night. For example, just the other morning I awoke to the realtively unknown Michael Jackson Motown track We're Almost There (from the album Forever, Michael); a song I was convinced I would hear nowhere but the confines of my Ipod. With 6music, it’s in the name – the station does all it can for music: Steve Lamacq is the undisputable king of this distinctive station and champions bands that he genuinely believes in, and not ones record companies have paid him to allot airtime to... *Cough* Radio 1 *Cough*

So I beg of you, sign this petition to keep blessed 6music on the airwaves, because without it we’re all doomed to radio schedule of the insufferable Chris ‘I can’t believe I still have this job as I’m actually an offensive, chauvinistic pig’ Moyles, Fearne ‘I hate admitting that I’m 28, but young girls can totally relate to me because I talk about being bestest mates with my mum all the time’ Cotton and Nick ‘name dropper’ Grimshaw. That is one bleak outlook.

Get signing: http://www.petition.fm/petitions/6musicasiannet/1000/

No comments:

Post a Comment