Friday, 5 March 2010

I Like... The Monster Ball / Finding My Jesus, Finding My Kubrick

Lady Gaga’s glittering live extravaganza, that is the Monster Ball Tour, was ‘dance for your life’ fantastic. It was like pop gone wild and feral with Disney-on-acid stage sets.

A full review will follow shortly, but allow me to summarise the hours leading up to/during the show:
- My younger sister Zoe is whole heartedly obsessed with Gaga. She eats, sleeps, and breathes Gaga. So when she told me, “Kate, we have to go to the gig in outrageous outfits; all her fans do it”, I believed her.
- Zoe was in fishnet stockings, black patent cage heels, sequin hot pants, freshly dyed blonde hair and straight-off-a-couture-catwalk eye makeup. Her friend Jess was in a backless leotard, two-tone tights (one leg white, one leg black), neon pink platforms and electric blue makeup. And there was I in stockings and suspenders, high waisted satin knickers, dominatrix shoe-boots and cropped Christopher Kane crocodile tee...
- The only other person we caught sight of in costume was a transvestite. People were taking pictures of us, asking to have their picture taken with us and grabbing us to chant “Rah rah ah ah ah ah” in our faces.
- Zoe almost passed out from the deadly combination of excitement and dehydration.
- I still have no feeling in the toes on my left foot from wearing such ridiculous footwear to a gig. But anyway, it was the most electrifying gig I’ve been to in a long time. So we are all fired up to see her again when she plays one more show at the O2 later this year. Also, her merchandise kicks ass – I’m living in my Alejandro t-shirt these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment