Friday, 20 August 2010

I Hate... Having not used my bones, organs and muscles for 20 years / ‘I’ve been walking for miles’

During my school days I was known for skiving off of P.E. lessons. My record was missing 12 consecutive lessons of outdoor winter hockey – an achievement I am vehemently proud of. I would get my mum to write me notes, friends with ‘grown-up’ handwriting to write me notes, hide in the toilets, just whatever it took to get me out of playing King and Queen Ball in an icy gym that smelt like vomit and death.

Anyway, my hatred of wearing shorts and trainers, the whole ethos of competition and being told by an alcoholic P.E. teacher that I was going to die before my parents meant that I haven’t really completed any exercise since primary school when we had weekly swimming lessons. (Don’t even get me started on the scarring experience of being the only kid to turn up unable to swim and having to put on armbands. That’s another tale for another day.)

The point I want to make, is that my Dad has always been pretty disappointed that I’ve never taken part in any sport or any kind of fitness routine, as he himself is a very healthy and fit individual. So this summer my untameable need to make my parents proud of me took over once more (after the glow of achieving a first wore off) and I signed up to run the Adidas Women’s 5K Challenge in Hyde Park on my 21st birthday in September.
I’ve overcome my fear of exercise, bought some trainers and have been hitting the gym as much as possible since June. I’ve been keeping my training a secret from most people as I know they will find it hilarious and unimaginable. But guess what? I’m skinny, young and don’t smoke so I’m pretty good at running actually. So a big two-fingers up at every butch netball player from school who thought they were so much better than me because they could pivot and complete a shoulder pass.

In fact, I would go as far as saying that I actually like my new found exercise regime. It’s nice to feel that I deserve to eat, sleep and sit down for once; rather than feeling guilty about it 24/7. Here are some of my favourite tracks from my ‘keep running otherwise you’ll never have a body like Lady Gaga’ playlist:

1) Michael Jackson Jam - What could possibly spur one on more than thought of ‘It ain’t too hard for me to Jam’?

2) The Drums Let’s Go Surfing – The fact that the band jog to the beach in the video to this track means that this song provides a gentle encouragement.

3) The Killers Somebody Told Me – Have you ever noticed how short this song is? The fact that there is barely a second verse and a minimal middle eight means you won’t even notice the time you’ve spent running when this is playing.

4) Robbie Williams Let Me Entertain You – Is it just me that wishes I could be Robbie Williams onstage at Knebworth performing this? Anyone who says they don’t imagine singing ‘Come on, come on, come on, come on’ to a crowd of adoring fans is a liar.

5) The Rolling Stones Brown Sugar – I wish I had Mick Jagger’s physique. End of.

No comments:

Post a Comment